Meerkat Media Production Company Coop Seeks Paid Intern
Applications due January 17, 2020 – Apply now!
About Meerkat Media:
Meerkat Media is a production company cooperative and artist collective located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Our cooperative produces a wide range of work, with an emphasis on short-form commissioned documentaries for clients, mostly non-profits that align with our social justice values, and compelling feature-length documentaries. You can see samples of our work here.
We operate as a co-op, meaning that we run all aspects of the business collaboratively, while also filling most of the creative and technical roles on our film projects. We produce projects that allow us to grow as artists, contribute to social movements across the city, and maintain our financial sustainability.
About the Internship:
We are looking for to hire one intern to support all aspects of our operation, with specific projects based on the intern’s individual interests and abilities. The intern will work one day per week at our office in Sunset Park, Brooklyn for a 6 month period. We pay a stipend of $120 for an 8 hour office or shoot day.
To be clear — you will definitely run errands, convert footage, and do all sorts of unglamorous tasks. But you will also be welcome to sit in on meetings, spend time on creative projects and be given tailored tutorials on topics of interest to you.
Our ideal candidate will have a broad range of interests and skills, including some basic production, post-production and producing experience. An ideal candidate is self-motivated, good at time management and can accomplish tasks independently.
Possible areas of work include:
- Project Development — research, help out with pitches & grant applications
- Production — research new equipment; help maintain gear; pick up rentals & repairs; PA on shoots
- Post — research new software; convert, copy & organize footage; assistant edit; archiving
- Distribution/Outreach — research festivals, educational marketing, website upkeep
We are also open to including opportunities to shadow/assist on specific projects, and to drive independent projects based on your own interests — as long as the work gets done at the end of the day.
How to apply:
In your cover letter, be sure to highlight:
- Projects you’re currently working on– Short and long term goals
- Any experience you have with co-ops or collectives
- Anything else from your personal background that you’d like to share
- Links to completed work
- Availability during the week
We are committed to combating institutionalized biases that exist in our industry, and are especially interested in candidates that can contribute to the diversity of our creative community.