Apply to Join the Meerkat Media Coop
Meerkat Media is a production company cooperative and artist residency located in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, and we are currently looking to add new worker-owners to our production company team! This is a unique position best suited for someone interested in owning and running a business as well as producing, shooting and editing films.
All qualified candidates will have 5+ years of professional experience in at least three of the following areas:
- Directing, with an emphasis on documentary style content
- Producing, including client-facing work for a wide range of diverse clients
- Production, including cinematography, lighting, audio and production support roles
- Editing a range of documentary-style content
The following skills are also a plus:
- Graphic design
- Motion graphics & animation
- Spanish language skills (other language skills also a plus)
- Experience working with cooperatives or collectives
Most importantly, all candidates must have the excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills that are necessary for owning and running a cooperative business.
About Meerkat Media
Our cooperative produces a wide range of work, with an emphasis on short-form commissioned documentaries for clients, mostly non-profits that align with our social justice values, and compelling feature-length documentaries. Our work emphasizes storytelling, visual craft, and a dedication to the highest production value. You can see samples of our work here.
Our production company is currently made up of 7 worker-owners who collaboratively run the business and fill most of the key roles on the films we produce. We regularly trade off roles, including directing, producing, shooting and editing, in order to remain flexible for clients, and to encourage ourselves to grow creatively and develop new skills. We run our business by consensus, meeting as a full group 2-3 times per week, and each take on a variety of administrative and strategic tasks necessary (1-2 hours a week) for the day to day operations of the coop.
As members of a cooperative, we are more than co-workers – we are a close-knit community who share a deep investment in continually improving the quality of the work we do, as well as the way we work together. We confront the inherent tension between being a financially sustainable company, an organization that values people and process, and a group of artists that makes high quality work. We value democracy, cooperation, and equity in everything we do. We seek to break down traditional power structures in our industry, and to be a positive model for others.
Benefits, Responsibilities & Compensation
This not a traditional, salaried job. Rather, we have each designed flexible positions that work for us as individuals, with specific responsibilities and benefits, outlined below.
- Access to well-paid work on interesting projects. The amount of work available varies, but our members are usually able to earn an average of $60,000 through the coop. (Note that all roles on projects are paid at the same, industry-standard day rate, regardless of project budget.)
- Access to desk space at our office in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.
- Access to shared production and post-production equipment for both coop and personal projects.
- Ability to participate in the decision-making process for all major decisions relating to the business, including how to spend our end-of-year surplus (equipment purchases, pro bono projects, bonuses, etc).
- A $300 monthly health insurance stipend.
- Access to a supportive creative community.
- Work on Meerkat projects as needed, in a variety of roles (shooter, editor, producer).
- Attend three meetings per week, plus one full day meeting per month, where all management and governance decisions are made.
- Respond to regular emails regarding Meerkat business in a timely manner throughout the week, even when working on other projects.
- Commit to working out of the Meerkat office for 3-5 days per week during regular office hours (whether working on paid coop work, other freelance work, or personal projects)
- Contribute 4-8 hours of unpaid work per month helping with the administrative aspects of running the business.
- Bring your freelance client work in through Meerkat whenever possible.
- Bring your full self and voice into the space, take initiative and ownership of the collaborative process.
Before becoming a full member of the coop, each new hire will begin with a 6-month candidacy period. After a successful candidacy period, each new member will be given the opportunity to officially become a member-owner of the coop, and be eligible for profit-sharing. Given the time and labor-intensive nature of this process, we are looking for a 2-year commitment at minimum.
If interested, please send your CV/resume, cover letter, and multiple work samples, with brief notes explaining your role on each project, to email@example.com by March 1st, 2018. We believe that diversity of experience and background makes the coop stronger, and are interested in understanding what makes you unique, not just your technical chops. Women, people of color, queer, trans and gender nonconforming people, and people from poor and working class backgrounds, are strongly encouraged to apply.