Meerkat Media Production Company Coop Seeks Paid Intern
Deadline for Submission: Friday, June 16
About Meerkat Media:
Meerkat Media is a media production company co-op and arts collective, committed to making artful and thought-provoking films through a non-hierarchical collaborative process. We produce both independent and commissioned work, ranging from documentary features and music videos, to web videos for publishers, universities, news magazines and non-profits. In all our work, we emphasize narrative storytelling, visual craft, and a dedication to the highest production value. You can see samples of our work here.
We operate as a co-op, meaning that we run all aspects of the business collaboratively, while also filling most of the creative and technical roles on our film projects. We produce projects that allow us to grow as artists, contribute to social movements across the city, and maintain our financial sustainability.
About the Internship:
We are looking for to hire one intern to support all aspects of our operation, with specific projects based on the intern’s individual interests and abilities. The intern will work one day per week at our office in Sunset Park, Brooklyn for a three month period. We pay a stipend of $120/day during the internship period. There is also a possibility of being hired as a freelancer for PA or assistant editing work after the internship is completed.
To be clear — you will definitely run errands, convert footage, and do all sorts of unglamorous tasks. But you will also be welcome to sit in on meetings, spend time on creative projects and learn the ins and outs of how we operate.
Our ideal candidate will have a broad range of interests and skills, including some basic production, post-production and producing experience. We are not looking for an expert in any of these areas – rather, we want to find someone whose values and vision align with ours, who is able to contribute meaningfully to our work in a variety of different ways.
Possible areas of work include:
– Project Development — research, help out with pitches & grant applications
– Production — research new equipment; help maintain gear; pick up rentals & repairs; PA on shoots
– Post — research new software; convert, copy & organize footage; assistant edit; archiving
– Distribution/Outreach — research festivals, educational marketing, website upkeep
– We are also open to including opportunities to shadow/assist on specific projects, and to drive independent projects based on your own interests, as long as the work gets done at the end of the day.
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
In your cover letter, be sure to highlight:
– Projects you’re currently working on
– Short and long term goals
– Any experience you have with co-ops or collectives
– Anything else from your personal background that you’d like to share
– Links to completed work
– Availability during the week
We are committed to combating institutionalized biases that exist in our industry, and are especially interested in candidates that can contribute to the diversity of our creative community.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. The tentative start date for the summer Internship Cycle is July 10 and will run for 3 months with the possibility of an extension.
Deadline for Submission: Friday, June 16.